I completed reading The Craft of Research and The Literature Review on the shores of New Jersey last week on a needed family vacation. My Kindle in hand and the sound of the ocean as my soundtrack, I found both texts to be easy to read (although a bit dry at points) and chock full of interesting perspectives and advice on writing like a researcher. The Craft of Research provided practical suggestions on word usage and I was encouraged especially by the advice on using active vs. passive voice. I can still visualize the red ink on my ninth grade term papers, "You use passive voice too much. Be more active in your prose." At the time, and honestly, perhaps until now, I just never quite got it. After completing this book, however, I can appreciate when active and passive voices are each acceptable and have learned that IT IS OKAY TO USE THE PASSIVE VOICE! Let's breathe a collective sigh of relief, shall we? Booth, Colomb, and Williams speak of making sure sentences make sense and begin with "familiar information, preferably the main character" (Location 2519 in my Kindle - Not really sure how to properly cite THAT one). While I will remain cautious of my overuse of passive verbs, I now take comfort that sometimes, what feels right - is right.
![]() |
| The shores of Lavallette, NJ |
The Literature Review by Diana Ridley also proved to be worthwhile beach reading. Two sections were especially helpful - critical writing and writer's voice. I have a more solid understanding of what it means to be critical in my own writing. As I write, I will refer to the pieces on pronoun and adjective use, organization, and evaluative strategies often.

No comments:
Post a Comment